Solar information page
Rooftop Solar PV is now very affordable, reducing your energy bills and lowering your carbon emissions
With fast paybacks, and economic and environmental benefits solar is an easy decision for most people. We have put together some resources to help you navigate through decision points and find a trusted supplier.
With solar panels on your roof, you can generate electricity for your home and the ones of others, and save lots on energy bills. Solar panels can reduce your electricity bills by up to 60% – Yarra Energy Foundation
Many people wish to install solar, but face difficult decisions in deciding the type and size of installations or finding a supplier.
Listen to independent advice from non-profit Yarra Energy Foundation in our Make Solar Easy seminars on our YouTube channel.
- Make Solar Easy with Peter Mercouriou, Yarra Energy Foundation. Experienced solar presenter, Peter Mercouriou, outlines the benefits of solar PV, and looks at panel options, installation factors, inverters, batteries and heritage factors in our Make Solar Easy information session.
- Make Solar Easy with Lachlan Hensey, Yarra Energy Foundation. Lachlan takes us through the typical journey of a household seeking solar, with advice on sizing your system appropriately, overcoming potential challenges, and looking at energy efficiency, efficient hot water, heating and cooling and energy bills.
Many of our members have added or upgraded their solar PV. Check out some of their stories here.
Finding a trusted supplier
“We’ve seen incredible momentum for renewables in Australia, but many on the frontlines of the energy transition still need guidance and technical support.”
Accredited solar providers take the hassle out of choosing a solar system that fits your needs
It’s extremely important to choose a good solar installer to get a good service.
Remember, you should always:
- Make sure that the solar provider you choose is Tier 1 approved.
- Look at the Clean Energy Council’s approved solar retailers and installers: see accredited installer scheme and approved retailer scheme.
- Check that your solar installer has been in operation for at least 5 years.
- Check that the solar installer provides a 5-year installation warranty and servicing in Australia.
- Lighter Footprints blog on benefits of solar
- Making the switch – information on moving away from gas to cleaner, safer affordable electric homes
- Why do people put on solar? Check our Solar Stories blog here
Yarra Energy Foundation
- How to buy solar – general information page
- Information page with links to solar, battery and energy efficiency information
- Yarra Energy Foundation wins NBI funding for community battery trial
- YEF website with information, advice and buyer’s guides
Please note that whilst Lighter Footprints has endeavoured to ensure all information is correct, individual circumstances will vary and it is important that you undertake your own research to best cater for your preferences and situation.
Sign up to our newsletter
to receive news and updates about effective local climate action